Saturday 27 September 2008

Things start to happen...

Lots and lots to tell...

Firstly, I survived the dreaded amoebas and feel ready(ish) to face whatever Africa has to throw at me next...

Secondly... I have a house! True, it's smaller than my hotel room in Yaounde, but it has three whole actual rooms with which I can do as I please. For those taking bets on how long it takes me to burn the place down, I'll put £50 on the first week of October.

Saying that, at present I'm actually ridiculously house-proud. I can't stop buying domestic-type things - so far I've bought pots, sheets, a broom, a wash tub, a fan and a 47 piece tea set. All of which, incidentally, can fit on the back of a moto-taxi. At once. I am especially proud of the tea set, even though the cups are too small to hold any useful amount of liquid. I keep inviting bemused volunteers around to my house for tea and biscuits - they probably think I just really miss England.

I've finally braved the moto-taxis as they're the only practical means of getting round the city. VSO have generously provided me with a helmet which is next to useless as I refuse to fasten the chin strap. This is due to a rather traumatic early moto-taxi experience: the driver (who sits in front) farted, and the smell rose up into my helmet and gassed me. When I arrived at my destination I hurried to remove the helmet only to find that the strap was stuck and I couldn't get it off. The horror is still fresh in my mind.

I have also started Work. I'm still not quite sure what Work entails, although I received a vaguely clearer picture yesterday when Yacoubou, my supervisor at MDDHL, sat at my desk (I have a desk) and told me everything that was wrong with the organisation. He finished this twenty-minute diatribe with the ominous words "...and so that's why you're here." Dad, if you're reading this, I think being the patron saint of lost causes might be hereditary.

Other than surviving amoebas, my greatest achievement to date is killing the monster cockroach that I found in my bathroom with only minimum shrieking and squealing, even though the bastard thing started chasing me when I tried to attack it with bug spray. Honestly, why run towards the person armed with the can of poison? I am now on full Cockroach Alert and sleep with the spray under my pillow, which is probably none too healthy.

Description of Maroua coming soon I promise!! As I write there is a giant orange lizard sitting next to me on my table, he looked quite cute at first but now I worry that he's planning to eat me so perhaps I'd better sign off here and leg it before his plans become any more concrete...

1 comment:

Steve Jackson said...

Ahhh - I am still waiting to move into my house. They are saying this weekend but then again they say that ahead of every weekend.

But here's hoping..

I've made investments. If they arrange for their installation I have offered to pay for cable and a hot shower. I am going to be here two years after all.

Oh and I need a good sofa. Already spotted a rocking chair for my porch. Damn I wish I still smoked (I quit after running out of English cigs and finding out how bad they local ones are). Porch's are made for smoking.

Glad you're fighting fit. When are you going to start the flickr account?